Hairdressing Technical Certificate level 2
Retail and Commercial Enterprise
We are only accepting one application per candidate.
What will you be working towards?
||Hairdressing Technical Certificate level 2
||Other Regulated/Accredited Qualification
The qualification aims to provide you with a range of technical skills and knowledge, which will equip you to progress on to the level 3 Diploma in Hairdressing.
There are also options to Fast Track to level 3 if your skills are above average or you are 19+.
You don�t need any previous knowledge or experience to start this qualification and it will suit anyone who wants to learn all of the technical skills and knowledge needed to work as a junior stylist providing basic hairdressing services. In today�s market, cutting and styling are key skills and this is evidenced in the increase of blow-dry bars and specialised roles within the hairdressing salon providing these types of services.
If you are aged 16-18, you will be enrolled on a study programme, which will include retaking GCSEs or undertaking Functional Skills in English and Maths if you haven't already achieved a grade 4 / (C) or above. You will also be required to complete a work experience placement and an employability programme.
If you are interested in the level 2 technical certificate in Hairdressing services, you will study theoretical aspects of the subject and apply them to practical tasks.
Topics include the following:
1. The principles of hairdressing and barbering
2. How to shampoo, condition and treat the hair and scalp
3. How to style, set and finish hair
4. Cutting hair using a variety of techniques
5. Colouring hair
You may also take functional skills or GCSE qualifications in English and Maths. You will also need to undertake a minimum of 36 hours of work experience in a hairdressing salon, during the course.
How will it be delivered?
To gain this qualification you must successfully complete the following assessments:
1. An externally set, practical exam, which will be carried out in the college salon. The typical exam brief will require candidates to provide a variety of hairdressing services to a number of clients within a commercially viable time. This will require students to use consultation techniques to identify client requirements and build a professional rapport.
2. An externally set, externally marked, written exam, sat under exam conditions. The exam is designed to assess the depth and breadth of your understanding across content in the qualification, using a range of question types. Candidates who fail the exam at the first sitting will have one opportunity to re-sit.
Standard entry to this course requires one reference. It is desirable that you can demonstrate 90% attendance. A GCSE in both English and Maths at grade 3 (D) or above is required.
Your next steps...
This level 2 technical certificate aims to provide you with a range of essential technical practical skills and knowledge, to progress onto the level 3 Diploma in Hairdressing or into employment as a junior stylist providing basic services within the hairdressing industry. Following successful completion of this qualification, you will be qualified to work in a number of professional settings such as hairdressing salons, hotels or cruise ships. You may also choose to continue your training on a level 2 hairdressing apprenticeship.