There are a wide range of topics covered on the Diploma (2 A level equivalent) course. Topics covered will include growth and development of individuals and how various factors can influence us, working in health and social care which includes exploring different careers and organisations, promoting public health, meeting care needs, complementary therapies, exploring additional needs such as disabilities and many more. There will also be a work experience opportunity for students who study the National Diploma course.
Most of the work will be coursework based and this may take the form of written work, power points, presentations, role plays and posters. Most units are internally assessed and then verified by other health and social care teachers. The Extended Certificate and Diploma course will involve taking two examinations, one in Growth and Development and one in Working in Health and Social Care. Both are paper-based exams and are 90 minutes long. The Diploma course includes an additional exam on Enquiries in Current Research in Health and Social Care, taken in year 13.
For all Level 3 pathways five passes (9-4) or more at GCSE's are required including at least Grade 4 in Maths and / or English Language. Merit at Level 2 if taken. Students will either need to have a level 5 in English or they will need a Merit at Level 2 in BTEC First Health and Social Care. They must have the ability to get on well with people and an interest in working with people from diverse social groups.
The BTEC Nationals in Health and Social Care provide:
• Education and training for health and social care employees
• Learners with a nationally recognised vocationally specific qualification for
entry into employment or university in the health and social care sectors
• Progression routes to higher education vocational qualifications such as the Edexcel Level 5 BTEC Higher National in Health and Social Care
• Learners with a period of work experience which acts as a focal point for
learning and provides experience of the sectors
• A range of skills and techniques, personal skills and attributes essential for
successful performance in working life.