AS/A2 Level: Mathematics (Further)
Science and Mathematics
We are only accepting one application per candidate.
What will you be working towards?
||GCE A/AS Level or Equivalent
This course is right for you if you:
• Really enjoy your mathematics lessons and enjoy a challenge
• Regard mathematics as your best subject
• Are very good at mathematics, especially algebra
• Have spoken to your mathematics teacher and they recommend you for the course
• Have excellent skills of reasoning and logic
• Are the kind of student who learns about mathematics beyond the normal syllabus
• Are prepared for very fast paced lessons and to work outside the classroom
• Are possibly considering applying for a Mathematics degree at Oxford or Cambridge. Excellent preparation for STEP.
The course is not right for you if you:
• Are considering applying for medicine (some universities will not accept it as a double A level)
• Are simply looking to achieve your A Level Mathematics grade in one year instead of two.
Further algebra and functions
Momentum and collisions
Work, energy and power Circular motion
Centre of mass and moments
Discrete random variables
Continuous random variables
Chi - squared tests
Exponential distribution t - distributions
How will it be delivered?
There are three two hour examinations at the end of the course.
Paper 1: Pure Mathematics
Paper 2: Pure Mathematics
Paper 3: Mechanics and Statistics
To be accepted for A Level Further Mathematics, students require 6 grade 5s (or equivalent), including at least a grade 5 in English Language or Literature. Grade 8 at GCSE Mathematics.
Students wishing to take Further Mathematics must take three other A Levels, one of which will be A Level Mathematics.
Your next steps...
There is a shortage of British Mathematics graduates (www.moremathsgrads.org.uk) and A Level Further Mathematics is excellent preparation for studying mathematics at university. Further Mathematics is also a facilitating subject for university courses such as mathematics, statistics, science, computer science, engineering, accountancy and economics and is highly regarded by the elite, Russell Group universities. It is a useful stepping stone for other degrees, such as medicine, geography, psychology and sports science which all demand advanced mathematical skills.