• Component 1, Recording: Using the schools own recording studio you will capture, edit, process and mix a song.
• Component 2, Technology-based composition: Using the schools studio and individual digital audio workstations to create, edit, manipulate and structure sounds to produce a technology-based composition. You will use synthesis, sampling / audio manipulation and creative effects to create the timbres for the composition.
• Component 3, Listening and analysing: A written exam assessing knowledge and understanding of recording and production techniques and principles, in the context of a series of unfamiliar commercial recordings.
• Component 4, Producing and analysing: A written exam assessing knowledge and understanding of editing, mixing and production techniques, to be applied to unfamiliar multi-track audio and MIDI.
Recording: Small group work in the College’s own recording studio. Mixing lessons and 1:1 tutorials.
Composition: Class lessons and 1:1 tutorials.
Listening and analysing / Producing and analysing: Class lessons, regular assessments and homework.
• Component 1: Submission of final mix of the studio recording and Cubase project with a completed logbook.
• Component 2: Submission of final mix of the composition and Cubase project with a completed logbook.
• Component 3: 1 hour and 30 minute written exam at the end of year 13.
• Component 4: 2 hour and 15 minute written and practical exam at the end of year 13.
GCSE Grade 5 in Music or equivalent. If you have not studied this subject at GCSE you will be invited to an interview/audition.
The A level in Music Technology can lead to further study in Music Technology, Media and Sound Engineering in Higher Education at Degree or HND level. Music Technology careers can include work as a sound engineer or record producer and work in radio, film and TV production and computer gaming. Studying music could lead to a career in the music industry, but it can also be used to broaden your knowledge of Western culture and to develop valuable ICT and creative skills for a wide range of careers.