This, one year course (age 17+) allows you to secure a well recognised Active IQ Level 2 (Fitness Instruction) and Level 3 (Personal Training) qualification, within one year AND join a daily fitness and / or football training programme at Advanced or Elite Level. FSD Academy recognise the on-going growth for careers in health & fitness and this course therefore provides a good pathway into this industry as well as the opportunity to test your potential for higher level football if appropriate. You can enjoy your sports education, sandwiched between a daily football and / or gym and fitness programme. On-site facilities include grass sports fields and training areas, gym, clubhouse, kitchen, classrooms, briefing/presentation area and changing rooms. This high quality course continues to offer more:
- Sport, education & life skills
- On-site gym
- Fitness training programmes
- Optional Advanced or Elite Level football training and competition
- Optional Futsal training and league competition
- Strength & conditioning training programmes
- Speed and reaction training
- Technical, physical, psychological and social development
Our experienced tutors and coaches put your development first by considering your personal goals and career aspirations. Whatever your fitness level or physical condition when joining the course the aim is for you to improve significantly within our programme and realise your potential. In order to do this we encourage:
- Completion of coach / tutor created fitness, strength & conditoning programmes
- Development of your own fitness, strength & conditioning programmes
- Optional inclusion on our Advanced or Elite level football training programme ran by UEFA B qualified coaches
As you progress through the course it may also be possible for you to create programmes for fellow students.
Minimum Training Hours Per Week: 4 Recommended Training Hours Per Week: 6-10
With the majority of your learning linked to sport, you will need to work hard, but the environment is not like school. Your education will be completed through group discussion and activities, combined with practical / written tasks and assignments. Example learning units include; anatomy and physiology for exercise, planning and instructing gym based exercise, sports nutrition, developing and delivering personal training programmes. Opportunities for voluntering and work experience can also enhance your career opportunities.
Typical Education Hours (Per Week)
Active IQ Level 2 and 3 - 10.5 hours.
Active IQ Level 2 and 3, plus Maths and or English GCSE (where required) - 14.5 hours
At FSD, we offer more than sports and education! Our ‘LIFE SKILLS’ programme is the extra ‘magic ingredient’ that provides a superb foundation for everything we do. Visitors often comment about the ‘positive vibes’ in the academy and our unique life skills focus no doubt makes a difference. In addition to inspirational guest speakers, (such as; ex. pro football players, professional UFC fighters, current LCFC staff, Sergeant Majors and more) we now offer additional experiences such as playing at the King Power Stadium or Belvoir Drive, trips to Premier League grounds (such as Old Trafford) and memorable overseas experiences for competiton and team-building (in 2019 we travelled to Marbella, Spain). Where trips have a football or futsal focus, health & fitness students are encouraged to attend with a role to play in areas such as: coaching, warm up, cool down, sports nutrition, performance analysis, sports psychology or physio.
Day to day, we promote manners, good social skills and a positive mindset. FSD staff make time to get to know you individually and you will ‘feel at home’ in our academy. This all helps you to fully enjoy your time here; progressing in sport and education, whilst becoming a better person, who will make a good first impression and a bigger impact in life.
Assessment is by coursework, including written work and evidence of practical activities. This evidence can include pictures, witness statements, posters, presentations and other tutor agreed criteria. There are no examinations.
Example modules could be:
- Anatomy & physiology for exercise & health
- Know how to support clients who take part in exercise and physical activity
- Health, safety and welfare in a fitness environment
- Principles of exercise, health and fitness
- Planning and instructing gym based exercise
- Apply the principles of nutrition to a physical activity programme
- Programming and delivering personal training sessions for clients