The WJEC EDUQAS syllabus encourages a broad approach that allows you to develop a sound grounding in several graphic design areas. It is able to accommodate any particular areas of interest that you may wish to pursue.
Although a GCSE Graphic Design or Art grade 4 pass is usually required for taking the A
level course, students that can demonstrate the necessary skills will also be considered.
The main skills developed through this course include:
· The artistic-creative knowledge and understanding associated with graphic design
· Research, analysis, discussion and evaluation of graphic design techniques and
· The development of specialist terminology related directly to graphic design
· Organisation, selection and communication of ideas, solutions and responses in
creative and original ways.
· How ideas, feelings and meanings can be conveyed and interpreted through graphic design and products.
· A variety of practical skills using a range of drawing, painting and printing materials.
Course content includes, portraiture, drawing, photography, printing and animation.
You will need to spend a minimum of 4 hours per week of your own time on homework tasks to continue and add to coursework. You will be expected to take part in at least one primary research visit that will be organised in Year 12. You will need to seek opportunities to broaden your knowledge and understanding of Graphic Design through visits to art, design and graphical exhibitions. £20 is required by every student to contribute to the overall cost of materials used within each A Level ADT option. This is due to a number of expensive materials being used in all areas across the 2 years of the course.
Coursework is 60% of the final grade and the exam unit is 40% of the final grade. All coursework units get added together to make up the 60%
Year 1 Mini skills building coursework units
Personal Investigation coursework unit started
Year 2 Personal Investigation coursework unit continued
Overall Entry Requirements:
6 GCSE's at grade 4 or above including an English and Maths.
Course Specific Entry Requirements:
Although a GCSE grade 4 in Graphic Design or Art is usually required, students that can demonstrate the necessary skills will also be considered.