If you love to participate in a variety of sports and like the idea of wide opportunities working in sport then this is the course for you! FSD Academy now offer a fantastic opportunity with our 'Combined' pathway. Enjoy your sports education, sandwiched between a combined training pathway that can include two or more of the following; football/futsal, gym/fitness and mixed martial arts. On-site facilities include grass pitches and training areas, gym, clubhouse, kitchen, classrooms, briefing/presentation area and changing rooms. In order to maintain high training standards all year round we also have regular use of local astro-turf, indoor futsal facilities and a fully equipped gym, with competition ring. This high quality course continues to offer more:
- Sport, education & life skills
- Advanced and Elite football training
- Fitness, strength and conditioning training (on site gym)
- Speed and reaction training
- Mixed Martial Arts training
- Technical, tactical, physical, psychological and social development
- NEW! Performance analysis
- NEW! Regular futsal opportunity
FSD Academy use FA & UEFA qualfied football/futsal coaches, qualified gym / personal training instructors and a professional MMA/UFC fighter within our combined pathway. All coaches put your development first whilst allowing you to experience the competitve nature of sport. You should be competent in sport to join this course but the aim is for you to improve significantly within our programme and realise your potential.
- The idea behind the combined pathway is that you can enhance your overall sport and fitness capabilities, experience, knowledge and understanding whilst opening a broad range of opportunities for future career progression.
Typical Training Hours (Per Week)
With the majority of your learning linked to sport, you will need to work hard, but the environment is not like school. Your education will be completed through group discussion and activities, combined with practical / written tasks and assignments. Example learning units include; participation in sport, the human body, muscle groups / functions, sports nutrition, sports coaching, tactical awareness, sports psychology, performance analysis, sports events / business and more. Opportunities for voluntering and work experience can also enhance your career opportunities, alongside optional extras of FA coaching and refereeing qualifications.
Typical Education Hours (Per Week)
BTEC/NFER only - 10.5 hours.
BTEC/NFER, plus Maths and or English GCSE (where required) - 14.5 hours
At FSD, we offer more than sports and education! Our ‘LIFE SKILLS’ programme is the extra ‘magic ingredient’ that provides a superb foundation for everything we do. Visitors often comment about the ‘positive vibes’ in the academy and our unique life skills focus no doubt makes a difference. In addition to inspirational guest speakers, (such as; ex. pro football players, professional UFC fighters, current LCFC staff, Sergeant Majors and more) we now offer additional experiences such as playing at the King Power Stadium or Belvoir Drive, trips to Premier League grounds (such as Old Trafford) and memorable overseas experiences for competiton and team-building (in 2019 we travelled to Marbella, Spain). Where trips have an active football or futsal focus, combined pathway students can fully participate or support with coaching, warm up, cool down, sports nutrition, performance analysis, sports psychology or physio.
Day to day, we promote manners, good social skills and a positive mindset. FSD staff make time to get to know you individually and you will ‘feel at home’ in our academy. This all helps you to fully enjoy your time here; progressing in sport and education, whilst becoming a better person, who will make a good first impression and a bigger impact in life.
Founders Matthew Piper (former Premier League player with LCFC & Sunderland) and Owen Johnson (former LCFC academy player and founder of dont.just.kick.it) have extensive football connections in the professional and semi-professional game and will seek trials for individual players that consistently demonstrate the required ability, effort and attitude. Opportunities for semi-pro or professional fighting pathways will also be sought for students training in mixed martial arts who demonstrate the required ability, effort and attitude.
Assessment is by coursework, including written work and evidence of practical activities. This evidence can include pictures, witness statements, posters, presentations and other tutor agreed criteria. There are no examinations.
Example modules (year 1) could be:
• Principals of Anatomy & Physiology in Sport (The Human Body and how it works)
• Sports Coaching
• Technical & Tactical
• Fitness Training & Programming
• The Physiology of Fitness
• Fitness Testing for Sport & Exercise
• Assessing Risk in Sport
• Current Issues in Sport
• Instructing Physical Activity & Fitness
Example modules (year 2) could be:
• Performance Analysis
• Rules, Regulations & Officiating Sport
• The Athlete's Lifestyle
• Sports Psychology
• Sports Nutrition
• Team Sports
• Talent Identification & Development in Sport
• Sports Injuries
• Organising Sports Events
• Age 16 by 31st August, ready to start early September.
• Level 3 - Individual offers may vary, but normally you will need 4 GCSE's level 4-9, preferably one being English or Maths.
• Level 3 (Extended) - Individual offers may vary, but you will normally need 5 GCSE's level 4-9, including English and Maths.
• Maths and/or English re-sits can be taken alongside the course.
• UK or EEA resident 3 years.
• Cost of tuition is fully funded.
• Bursaries and free meals on application (household income below £25k).