Biology is a diverse and popular subject. Covering topical issues, such as medical science, genetic engineering, biotechnology, and the environment, you’ll develop an essential knowledge and understanding of some of its key areas.
A Level Biology builds on your understanding and appreciation of scientific methods, while developing your confidence in practical skills, mathematics and problem solving. This encourages you to take an interest in global scientific issues and new developments.
The course at Loughborough College uses scientific, practical teaching and investigation wherever possible to ensure that you gain maximum enjoyment and become an enthusiastic biologist.
- Biological molecules
- Microscopy and cell structure of bacteria, plants, and animals
- Cell division
- Transport across cell membranes
- Cell recognition and immunity
- The importance of a gas exchange system in living organisms
- Human gas exchange and what happens when things go wrong
- Digestion of absorption of the food we eat
- Cardiovascular system and oxygen carriage
- DNA, genes, and chromosomes
- Genetic diversity and mutation
- Genetic diversity and adaptation
- Classification of species
- Energy transfer in an ecosystem
- Nutrient cycling
- Responding to changes in the environment in different organisms
- Nervous co-ordination
- Muscles and muscle contraction
- Homeostasis: controlling blood glucose and water level
- Populations and evolution
- Control of gene expression
- Gene technology
A Level Biology will prepare you for further study and careers in a variety of disciplines, from medicine, physiotherapy, and biochemistry to nursing, food science, and zoology.